ACMIT, the “Austrian Center for Medical Innovation and Technology”, is a research and development center in the field of medical technology and has a bridging function between requirements at clinical side, basic research in medical technology at academic side and the development, implementation of products at company side.
ACMIT staff is representing competence in all related fields of medical engineering:
- bio/mechanical/electronic/software engineering
- chemistry, physics
- human factors
- regulatory affairs and quality management
ACMIT with large network of scientific and industrial partners concentrates knowledge from medicine, technology and market needs. Furthermore, new ideas and approaches are transformed into innovative new treatment options and novel products.
ACMIT Company History
ACMIT was founded in 2005, based on a cooperation between the ARC Seibersdorf Research GmbH, the Vienna University of Technology, and the University of Applied Sciences in Wiener Neustadt. The company name at the time of foundation was Integrated Microsystems Austria GmbH. The goal was to merge the existing academic know-how on micro-systems technology and create an industrial competence center for serving the industry in different application areas.
Over time, the field of medical technology has played an increasingly important role in the company's activities, which resulted in the establishment of the COMET K1 competence center ACMIT – Austrian Center of Medical Innovation and Technology in 2010. Subsequently, the company name was changed to ACMIT Gmbh. Since 2010, ACMIT is fully dedicated to research and development of medical technology, from idea to clinical use.
Research Area Managers
ACMIT Partner Network
The extensive network of partners helps us react to new challenges and research tasks in a very short period of time. Internationally renowned scientific partners provide cutting-edge knowledge as they are aware of the most recent trends and developments in minimally invasive interventions. Company partners add their expertise in realization of instruments and training systems and carefully consider market aspects. Finally, a group of renowned clinical partners ensures the additional benefit for the end-user in the operating room and the patient. This combination of competencies makes ACMIT an indispensable top partner in medical technology R&D.
Clinical partners have a significant share of the ACMIT scientific partner network. Their role is twofold: on the one hand they are a constant source of new
research questions, and on the other hand they play an important role for testing, verification and validation of research and development results in all project phases.
- Company Partners
- Scientific Partners
ACMIT is supported by a broad range of regional, national and international funding agencies that foster the cooperation of industry, research institutions and clinics:
Dipl.-Ing. Nikolaus Dellantoni
CEO of ACMIT Gmbh
Mag. Dr.phil. Christoph Strecker BA
CFO of ACMIT Gmbh
Dipl.-Ing. Bernhard Nußbaumer MAS EMBA
CBDO of ACMIT Gmbh
iSYS Medizintechnik GmbH
Medical device manufacturer focused on interventional radiology, developing innovative robotic solutions for micro invasive interventions.
Technical University of Vienna
The biggest Austrian and one of the most successful Technical Universities in Europe. ACMIT collaborates with the Institute of Sensor- and Actuator Systems and with the Institute of Materials Science and Technology.
Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH
World-wide active leading woundcare and medical textiles company with headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
Karl Landsteiner Privatuniversität für Gesundheitswissenschaften GmbH
The KL University provides translational and clinical research in selected areas of health studies and human medicine, with a primary focus on biomedical engineering and is connected to three university hospitals in Lower Austria.
The Strategy Board is composed of experts from technological, medical, clinical and management disciplines. In general, their role is conceived as strategic advisors helping the ACMIT management to take the right decisions.
Representatives of the following companies and hospitals are part of the ACMIT Strategy Board:
- DI Nikolaus Dellantoni (ACMIT Gmbh) – Chairman of Strategy Board
- Prof. Dr. Markus Enderle (ERBE Elektromedizin GmbH)
- Dr. Christian Rohrer (Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH)
- Univ. Prof. Dr. Heinz Redl (Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology, Austrian Cluster for Tissue Regeneration)
- Dr. Markus Oberparleiter (MED-EL Elektromedizinische Geräte GmbH)
- Univ. Prof. Dr. med. Selman Uranüs (Medical University of Graz)
- Dr. Klaus Woltron (Woltron)
Additionally, the funding body representatives from FFG and Austrian provinces have non-voting membership status.
The Scientific Board’s role is to keep ACMIT in-line with the hot topics of scientific research in the area of minimally invasive procedures and to give valuable feedback to ACMIT’s scientific direction. The Scientific Board is composed of the ACMIT key researchers (Research Area Managers) as well as of a group of internationally renowned experts in the ACMIT related research fields. Most of the board members are also members of the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT), a worldwide organization of top ranked experts.
Representatives of the following companies, hospitals and universities are part of the ACMIT Scientific Board:
- Delft University of Technology, NL
- PERK Lab – Queens University, CA
- Children’s National Health System, Washington DC, US
- Imperial College, London, UK
- University Medical Centre Utrecht, NL
- Landesklinikum Wr. Neustadt, AT
- Hospital de Sabadell Barcelona, ES
- Università di Roma Tor Vergata – School of Medicine, IT
- Institute for Medical Science and Technology IMSaT, UK
- Department of Neurosurgery – Klinikum Karlsruhe, DE
- West German Heart Center – University Hospital Essen, DE
- Medizinische Universität Wien, AT
- Tirol Kliniken, AT
- Medizinische Universität Graz, AT
ACMIT key researchers are strengthened by the following internationally renowned experts:
Autonomy in Surgery
Prof. Dr. Jenny Dankelman (Delft University of Technology)
Dr. Thomas Lango (St. Olav’s Hospital / USIGT)
Sensor Systems for Diagnosis and Therapy
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Drexler (Medical University of Vienna)
Prof. Dr. Leopold Schmetterer (Nanyang Technological University)
Therapy Planning and Workflow Support
Prof. Dr. Andreas Melzer (ICCAS – Innovation Center Computer Assisted Surgery)
Prof. Dr. Gabor Fichtinger (Queen’s University)
Prof. Dr. Gabor Fichtinger (Queen’s University)
Prof. Dr. Thomas Neumuth (ICCAS – Innovation Center Computer Assisted Surgery)
Attractive Place to Work
ACMIT offers unique career opportunities in medical technology. As a translational research center it bridges the gap between academy and industry. Our scientists and R&D managers integrate the requirements of clinical research and product development.
We offer close cooperation with top experts in diverse fields, excellent working conditions with high-end lab equipment and personal development perspectives.
The concept of flexible normal working hours is part of our corporate culture, furthermore a modern IT infrastructure ensures teleworking and home office possibilities.
ACMIT provides healthy balance between professional and family life. We endeavor an easier return to work of our employees following parental leave.
ACMIT has been awarded with the „workplace health promotion“ by the Austrian network for WHP (Österreichischen Netzwerk für BGF) in the years from 2021 to 2023.
The well-being of our employees is ensured through meal vouchers, on-site snacks, free fruits and coffee.
Working at ACMIT means to join an international group of experts in interdisciplinary fields.
Our competencies encompass medical robotics and mechatronics, microsystems technology and sensor development, micro-optics and fiber optics technology, work-flow integration and automation.
Not only a strong background and profound experience in science and technology are prerequisites for a successful career at ACMIT – openness, flexibility, team spirit and communicative competence are equally required.
Gender & Diversity
Equality, diversity and inclusion are essential core values for creating and disseminating new knowledge and for developing science into new direction. We want to create a gender-equal environment in which every member feels valued and supported in developing their potential. The ACMIT Gender Equality Plan (GEP) reflects our commitment to achieve a diverse and inclusive community.
ACMIT offers career opportunities in both R&D and management. ACMIT opens up a broad range of future career possibilities at our international company and scientific partners in medical technology.
We are interested in applications of established professionals, senior and junior researchers (postdoc, PhD, diploma, M.S., B.S.) in our relevant fields of R&D.
Students are invited to perform applied research projects, hands-on-trainings and write their thesis in cooperation with one of our scientific partners. Visiting international researchers are also welcome for a certain period of time.
If you are interested in working and doing research at ACMIT please send your application including CV, list of publications and other relevant documents to email@example.com.
Join our team and dedicate yourself to challenging, inspiring and diversified tasks in minimally invasive medical technology!
ACMIT is located in Wiener Neustadt within the Technology and Research Center TFZ, a booming and growing R&D site with three COMET competence centers ACMIT, AC²T and CEST. Main areas of R&D are in medical technology, sensor technology, surfaces, tribology (friction, wear, lubrication) and materials.
R&D entities in direct neighbourhood further include the Austrian Institute of Technology (AIT) - Biomedical Systems, the University of Applied Sciences Wiener Neustadt and the radiotherapy center MedAustron Regular meetings with these research units are taking place in order to identify possible synergies and cooperation options.
The region around Wiener Neustadt offers a high quality of life. The mountainous area of Schneeberg, Rax and Semmering is ideal for hiking, climbing and skiing and the Austrian capital Vienna is not far away.
We are the leading translational Medtech R&D center in Europe.
- all R&D services from idea to clinical use
- international partner network
- business planning support
- IP strategy support
- fundraising support
- clinical trial management
- regulatory affairs support
- contract manufacturing
- investor network
to bring novel technology to the patient and make medical treatment safer and more efficient.
From idea to clinical use.
The COMET Center (K1) ACMIT is funded within COMET – Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies – by BMK, BMAW as well as the co-financing federal provinces Lower Austria and Tyrol. The COMET programme is managed by FFG (www.ffg.at/comet).
COMET is the red-white-red program for application-oriented cutting-edge research in the Republic of Austria.
COMET competence centers work together with companies and research partners to develop solutions for future topics such as climate protection, digitization, mobility and health. This strengthens Austria as a research and business location.
- RALV – Experience the achievable vision
- Improving the debridement of wounds - a robotic system that may define a new standard
- Collision avoidance for cone beam CT imaging for interventional radiology
- Autoguide – a small and lightweight robot system for neurosurgery
- Intraocular lens simulation device for optimized patient satisfaction
- Trifocal lens technology for application in ophthalmology
- Robot technology helps to increase safety and efficiency of vitreoretinal surgery
- Simulator for intraocular lens implants contributes to optimized vision quality based on individual parameters
- Optimisation of surgical procedures
- Hand-in-Scan won 2nd prize in Science2Business competition
- Objective hand hygiene control
- High-precision tool targeting in delicate tissue
- Innovative tools for Gynecological Image-Guided Adaptive Brachytherapy (IGABT)
- Novel multi-parameter sensor prototype for wound monitoring applications
- Enhanced cryo technology based biopsy sond
- Virtopsy – robot performs autopsy without opening the corpse
- Innovative eye-lenses for increased quality of life of elderly people in a modern leisure-loving society
- “Stery-Hand”—A breakthrough in medical hand hygiene compliance and technique control
- Idle Speed Limiter for dental drills goes easy on patient, doctor and instrument
- New interventional robot system supports microsurgical interventions